Thursday, June 23, 2005

Early Bird and Proud Of It

Flexible hours are one of the benefits of my job. I can generally start any time I want, just as long as my work for the day gets done. I think that's one reason why people seem to have such a hard time understanding why I choose to get up so early. Here is stereotypical conversation:

"So, what time do you get up for work?"

"A quarter to four"

"In the morning?"

"Yep, 3:45 AM"

"Why?"

(This is the part of the conversation I always like best)

"On the way to work I often get to see gorgeous sunrises. In the summer I get a large portion of my work done before it gets too hot. There is virtually no traffic on the way in to work, and on the way home it is minimal. Also, by punching in at about 5:00 AM, I get to leave at about one in the afternoon - I still have plenty of day left to do other stuff."

"Oh. Well I would never get up that early"

I just smile when someone says that. Not because I think they are wrong, but because I have just given them several reasons why it's sensible to do so.

To be honest, I do not enjoy getting up that early. (If it weren't for coffee, I don't even know if it would be possible.) But the rewards outweigh the inconvenience. Well, time for bed;)

4 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger windspike said...

good ploy. I used to work second shift - 4:30 to 1AM. That was the best shift, I think. Not much happens after about 9:00 PM anyway. And, I had the whole AM to enjoy the sunrises, go for a run, get things done, eat a slow lunch, etc...

Of course, now I'm the primary care giver for our two toddlers - it's not a full time job, more like and ALL the time job.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger R. U. Serious said...

I recognive one 3:45 per day, and that ain't it.

Damned If I Know

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Mike Jones said...

Steve Pavlina agrees and offers a few hints on how to pull it off.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/05/how-to-become-an-early-riser/

Myself, I have trouble with this unless I'm consistently active. Getting up at the crack of dawn is simple when I go on multi-day bike rides - you sleep early and wake up with the sun because you bake in the tent otherwise.

Otherwise, it'll be an effort - but one I'm willing to consider when I get the right space and time to do it.

3:45am is right out though. ;-)

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger I Santoso said...

Wow...at least now I know that I'm not so weird after all. I also wake up around 4AM because I love having a personal, quiet time.

Unfortunately I can't go to work like you. My office still opens from 8AM-5PM :)

I like your blog...learning and sharing about life and success are wonderful.

Learn and Grow
tolovelearning.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home