Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Empty Potential

People often do not live up to their full potential

Why? Because people don’t grasp their full potential. It is an unknown. When people start to get an inkling of their full potential, they get excited. It becomes a smoldering ember ready to ignite their success.

The other reason is comprised of almost equal parts of laziness, apathy, and complacency. If any of these three things are standing in the way of your success, get rid of them, pronto. Let’s take a brief look at them.

Laziness is when they know what they should do, or have to do, and decide it’s just too hard. Their tired, had a hard day, car won’t run, dog is sick, their favorite television show is on, and so on. These all may be true, but they are still excuses - excuses of laziness.

Apathy is not caring enough to even make an excuse. With laziness at least they know they could be doing something else. With apathy they really could not care less, it is like a vacuum cleaner just sucked out all their desire.

The last one is complacency. The dreaded ‘comfort zone’. No one ever gets ahead by operating at their current level. They don’t even break even, because progress is happening all around them. Comfort never stops progress.

I know I have not yet achieved my full potential. I am excited about where I'm going, and have a firm idea of where that is. My full potential awaits - and you?

8 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger T0bI@H said...

I once read somewhere that people , through their lifetime, only end of uing 30% of their brain capacity! Now that is not living up to your full potential. But I guess the world's population does not want to be that educated, or even care.

Nice blog! I enjoyed reading it!
Mya t
www.starrysconfess.blogspot.com

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Pam said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on empty potential. I would agree with you that my full potential awaits me and yet at the same time I think I was living in my full potential a number of years ago. I would like to have that back in a new way.

I've not been working the past month and to be honest I am in a place of ' complacency ' but complacency doesn't pay the bills...lol Its like being lost in a maze.

Nice blog :)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Alvin Narsey said...

hmm..empty potential...fantastic stuff.i have never heard of that terminology before.

I am interested to know how u came across the phrase!?

cheers
Alvin
http://www.parttimeincome.org/Blog

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger John Norton said...

I've got a very nice mixture of all three going. I don't want to take the effort to fix the problem because, quite frankly, I just don't care, and I'm pretty happy where I'm at now anyway.

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Casey said...

Well, your analysis on apathy and laziness is pretty much dead-on. I'd do something about it but it seems like a lot of work... plus I don't really care.

On another note, your blurb at the top below site title, where you outline the key components? You list everything. Why not just say everything is important?

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger A1 Success Force said...

Thanks to everyone for the comments so far. Just a few responses for now.

mya, thanks for the compliment. I think living up to your full potential is something the world at large thinks they do not want. It is hard work, but with a great payoff.

pam, I think most of us have thought we were at our full potential at some point - I know I did, it was called being a teenager:) Also, it is wonderful to know you are not in denial.

While trying to live up to your full poetential is a worthy goal, it is important to have balance. A little complacency from time to time is okay, when it becomes a habit you miss out on many, many rewards.

alvin, I just made the phrase up to be the opposite of full potential.

john, love your comment:) It sounds like you have balance going in your favor. Knowing yourself counts as a plus in my book.

casey, when I first created The Success Spot it was my intention to focus specifically on these six areas on a rotating basis. I agree, time to rethink my blurb. Thank you for the feedback.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Pug8 said...

Perhaps another phrase to be coined is success maintenance. Complacency is a sign of past success, real or imagined. People can live for a long time and prosper on the accomplishments of the past, and can be lulled into a false sence of security that they will be respected for that one gret idea, or that one super feat acheived at an earlier point in their development.

To correlate that with your post, I would suggest that one success can cause these three components to thrive, and that would explain the frequent feeling of people that they were at the top of their game at a previous point in their life. I am not suggesting that anyone quit before they acheive any level of success, rather I would suggest that they need to nurture that success, and maintain it so it doesn't get stale.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Casey Dorrell said...

I guess more what I meant was that those six areas, "Social, mental, financial, spiritual, emotional, and physical," leave very little not listed anyhow.

Interesting read anyhow. Better than any other blogs of this nature that I've read. Seems to be a real sincerity that's usually missing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home