Tuesday, February 08, 2005

A Brief Look At Attitude

We all know people with different attitudes. Some are great, some are okay, and others are not even okay. Here a few thoughts on some of the different types of attitudes.

"I have a great attitude, unless things start going bad." This, in my experience, is the most common attitude of all. While this attitude may border on the self-delusional, at least it is a step in the right direction. That is to say that if someone thinks they have a great attitude only when things are going their way, then it is really not a great attitude at all. Kind of like being "sort of pregnant".

"I have a great attitude, good or bad, I might as well make the best of any situation." Yes! The group I would most like to consider myself a member of. Sure, people in this group hurt, fail, and blunder, but it is their choice of reaction to these events that creates a great attitude. In short, they develop character when they hurt, grow after they fail, and learn from their blunders.

"Why bother, life just beats you down. And besides when you have a good attitude, fate finds you and slaps you across the face. I have had a miserable life, and things will never change and BLAH BLAH BLAH..." You know the type. These are the people to which I say "Nice to see you instead of "How are you?". In a way I am defending myself as best as I can against their poor attitude. I try not to give them a chance to spew their negativity in my direction. Sometimes it cannot be avoided. When this happens I try to find the positive angle and reflect back some positivity in their direction.

Attitude can be a difficult thing to control, but I am convinced that I, or anyone else, can choose their attitude. It's just that sometimes there is a large stretch of time between negative circumstances and positive responses. Shrinking that gap of time will lead to a better and more consistent attitude.

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Charone said...

I think I have a stoic attitude about most things. I don't know if that's good or bad.

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Pug8 said...

Attitudes are a reflection of coping mechanisms, I beleive.

Coping mechanisms are our way of dealing with any situation, in any environment, under a given circumstance. These mechanisms are displayed as attitudes.

I have been every one of these people you have described, but it is not necessarily who I am in general.

I propose that if a person acts the same way everytime you are around them, regardless of the other factors, that you may be a barier for their coping capacity.

Not my iron-clad belief, but something to chew on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home