Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Why I try NOT to make a difference.

I'm sure it's just a matter of semantics, but I do believe the phrase "make a difference" is psychologically ambiguous. The problem is that "making a difference" can be positive as well as negative.

On the negative side: I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you think about it, a criminal makes a difference in the life of a victim, a dictatorship makes a difference in the choices its citizens make, and a corporate down-sizing makes a difference in an employee's income.

Semantics? Maybe, but the words and phrases we use on a regular basis all impact our attitude in some way. So, "make a difference" is a phrase I try to avoid, and replace it with the more specific "make an improvement".

When I do catch and correct myself, my thinking changes almost instantly. I start thinking about how I can improve the situation at hand, as opposed to just changing it.


1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Pug8 said...

I do concur. Making a difference for the wrong reason can be more detrimental than doing nothing. But, a person shoud try to be more than they are, and improve their community and situation


You never know what you are capable of until you fail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home