Saturday, November 20, 2004

Teamwork And Teeth

I wanted to post this as soon as the idea hit me. Here are a few analogies between teamwork and teeth. I apologize in advance if any of these seem too vague, cerebral, or less than well thought out. Take it for what it's worth :)

1. A mouth contains different types of teeth.

2. All work in conjuction with one another.

3. Each still has to perform a specific task.

4. Watch out for toothaches caused by overwork of one or two teeth.

5. Watch for cavities due to improper care. That is, "holes" in the team.

6. Need to perform regular maintenance and checkups.

7. The pain of short-term discipline (hard work, roll up the sleeves = brushing/flossing, regular dental visits) is better than long-term regret (being lazy now = dentures later).

8. Toothaches due to some other cause than overwork, must be taken care of right away. In other words; remove, re-assign, or reprimand complainers on the team.

Those were the only ones I could think of off the top of my head. Let me know if I forgot anything obvious.

3 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger birdwoman said...

Note Number 1:
I've noticed that Blogger comments and Blog Explosion seem to be mutually exclusive. It wouldn't let me in until BE quit, now I'm in... weird.

Note Number 2:
I'm really wondering what on earth made you think of a teamwork and teeth analogy? Are you an orthodontist in a large practice?

Note Number 3:
I'm currently being forced to take a series of management courses at work, and the teamwork section made me want to kill someone. Do you think this means I'm not a good team player? Shame, that.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger A1 Success Force said...

Thanks birdwoman, I've had the same problem with BE myself.

I'm not an orthodontist, and I don't even play one on TV. My inspiration for the teeth teamwork idea was a simple combination of having a toothache, and a lack of sleep. It really just progressed from there.

As far as the teamwork section of your management course goes, I was wondering if it focussed too much on managing a team as opposed to being part of a team? Also, all teams are alittle different, and it may take some time to establish your natural role on a team. Just a thought.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Pug8 said...

Very interesting post. It sounds like something you would bring up, say at a laundromat, at 3 am, in a northern midwest city. LOL

I think you hit on a key word Birdwoman-forced.
People should not be forced to be on a team, because then it becomes a detail or a duty, nor should people be forced to take team building classes, rather people should feel a desire to participate in them. I know they can be pretty rediculous sometimes, but it is all what you make of it.

Maybe a change of perspective would go further than acceptance at this point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home