Monday, October 11, 2004

Monday, Monday

Today being Monday meant going back to work for another week. One thing that separates me from the majority of my co-workers is my approach to Mondays. I personally think I may drive people nuts, but I do it intentionally.

First of all, I make it a point to greet each person by name with a cheerful "Good morning". The reaction I get is fairly typical: "Yeah! What's so good about it? It's Monday". The response almost has the underlying message that I must have forgotten which day of the week it really is. I know. However, if someone asks me what's so good about it, I tell them. After rattling off three to five things I'm happy about they typically roll their eyes and walk away.

Second of all, I never ask "How was your weekend?" Too often this leads to a list of the bad things that happened, missed opportunities, or some other complaints. Of course I still want to know how their weekend was, but I ask a different way. Usually it is something like a casual "So, what was the highlight of your weekend?" This automatically shifts their thinking, and I can hear about the fun they had, instead of all the bad.

My whole intent is not to irritate, but rather to help change the mood at work from one of "Oh no! Not another Monday" to one of "It's a fresh week, let's see what we can do". When that happens it benefits everybody.

This leads me to thinking of other questions to ask, or not ask, to elicit more positive responses. To come up with those, all I have to do is ask myself the right question.

4 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger hyelbaine said...

Heh..i wouldn't mind being greeted by you on my monday. somehow i find cheerfullness very effective ;)

Cheers!!! :D

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Mondays are always a tough day for me and my family...but I think if we all thought more like this, it'd make it easier for everybody around us. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ladybuggin.com

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I like your way of thinking... and acting!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger stefani said...

What a great outlook!

I may have to see how it works for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home