Thursday, October 28, 2004

Lament the Mental

Are you wondering what the title of this posting means? Am I suggesting that we should feel sorry for those who are have lower than average IQs (while using a politically incorrect term)? Is it some kind of code? A riddle? Think about it for a moment.....okay.....keep thinking.....

Did you figure it out? If it made you think, then the title had its intended effect. What I'm trying to say is that it is important to stretch your brain. Puzzles are a great way to do this, that's why the title contains an anagram.

Take some time to find what stretches your brain. I often wish I worked with people who weren't so opposed to original thought. A typical exchange at work goes something like this.

Friendly Co-worker: "Why did you do that?"

Me: "I thought it made sense."

Friendly Co-worker: "They don't pay you to think"

I cringe on the inside everytime this happens. Normally I'll just smile and continue on with what I was doing. What I would really like do though is say something like:

"Of course they pay me to think, and they pay you to think too. Do you really think the boss wants you to go to him everytime you are faced with a decision? You probably make hundreds of decisions each day, all of which require some level of thought. If they didn't pay you to think anybody could do your job, and I mean anybody. You have to admit that they do pay you to think now, don't you?"

Next time that's what I will say, I think.

2 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger darcey said...

neat - thats what I tell my boss - he's the old school

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Pug8 said...

"They don't pay me to think". What a cop out. This is a classic comment by people who want to do just barely enough to keep a job. Let 'em know what you think, maybe they will get it.At least they will know you don't work that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home